Photography by: a.r.e.
1. Who are you?
D. Strange….a working class musician obsessed with the concept of sound and rhythm
2. What do you do?
I Inform the masses of what the source of this music (techno) is….show love to the people in my hood and likeminded souls across the globe…dream of a world where we (black people) finally get what we deserve…
3. Where do you often create / produce?
In my home or on the bus.
Any time really but mostly late at night.
5. Why do you play music?
I have to. I don’t really have a choice in the matter.
6. When did you start making music?
My first song was exported January 2017 so I guess almost 3 yrs ago. That year I wasn’t too confident so I didn’t pick it back up till almost a year later
7. Which track defines you the most?
8. How would you describe your own music?
Manic, Organic, Technological
9. Any track of the moment?
10. What influences your work?
The sound of the city around me, public transit, industrial decay, Drexciya, UR, Dj Stingray, rap, cold music, club music
11. What’s your academic background? Are you an autodidact?
College dropout, self taught in everything I know.
12. Favorite designer?
Yohji Yamamoto I guess? Don’t care too much about designers…there’s a few pieces whether it be clothes or architecture I fuck with.
13. Favorite book?
14. Favorite classic movie?
15. Favorite music label?
16. Your dream collaboration?
17. Are you analog or digital?
18. Which softwares/tools/instruments do you use?
Logic Pro X…and whatever gear I can get my hands on before I have to sell it to pay rent.
19. Describe your creative process?
16-32 bar loose melody then the drums and a million happy accidents while simultaneously losing my mind.
20. When are you the most prolific (creatively) ?
Before a gig….or after a night at the club.
21. Any favorite record stores? (Real/Virtual)
Detroit Threads, Gramaphone, Bandcamp, Discogs
22. What’s your life philosophy? (Optimistic/Pessimistic)
believe in being true to yourself. I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily optimistic or pessimistic about life…just very realistic about the transpiring chaos.
23. Do you have a healthy lifestyle?
Could be much healthier.
24. How do you manage your time effectively ? (Job/Hobby)
I utilize all the time I have before clocking in and all the time I have before I physically have to sleep.
25. Any secret skills?
I can hoop. Catch me at any basketball court.
26. Any future plans?
Only plan is to continue to push myself musically and see where it can take me. Continue to dig deeper
27. What’s your life motto?
Don’t have a motto per se but I would say pay attention to the little things always.
28. Any ‘mot de la fin’?
“Experiments must continue…til death”